Each time I start a new build, it's an adventure; this excitement is easily doubled when I'm doing a body shape for the first time. In this case, I'm taking my ball scroll design and modifying the bass horn and changing it into my take on Carl's iconic hook scroll.
- Better Mousetrap Guitars CT Hook Scroll Tribute
- 34" scale, 24 frets
- Ash wings with Bolivian rosewood face
- Bolivian rosewood fretboard with maple marker at the 12th fret and white side dots
- Flamed maple and maple neck
- Bolivian rosewood headstock ears and electronics cover
- Nordstrand DC pickups (series)
- Aguilar OBP-3 preamp
- Volume w/P-P to passive, Blend, Passive Tone, Bass/Treble Stack, Mid w/P-P frequency select, and individual series-split-parallel mini switches for each pickup
- Gold Hipshot Ultralite tuners
- Gold Hipshot A-style bridge
- Gold Hipshot O-ring knobs
27 July 2014
I've been so busy in the shop, I hadn't had the opportunity to fire up the build blog for this particular build just yet. This morning, I'm rectifying that and putting up all the pictures from the build so far.
3 August 2014
Got down to business on this bass again today. In the books for today include finishing the contour sanding, smoothing out the rasp marks, and cleaning up some of the surface on the rosewood faces, gluing and thinning down the neck, thinning down the fretboard material, starting the electronics pre-wire, and drilling the last two control holes.
10 May 2016
For the firs time in over a year and a half marked some progress on this bad boy. Sanded out the cupping of the headstock face from the clamping process. Now things are ready for mapping out the overall taper and cutting that in.